What you’re seeing on the screen right now is one of my absolute favorites in this hot season: veggie summer rolls with peanut butter lime sauce.
These pretty rolls are loaded (like LOADED) with vitamins and crunchy vegetables. Together with the creamy peanut butter sauce, they’re just the right food if you’re looking for a satisfying yet refreshing dish.
First things first… The summer rolls. More vegetables on such a small area is almost impossible. Cucumbers, peppers, carrots, salad, avocado, etc. And then there’s this sweet mango which fits SO WELL to the veggies.
Oh, have I mentioned the crispy, caramelized tofu already?
Guys, THIS COMBO is legit!!
The tofu is not that boring tasty one. NOT. AT. ALL. It is fried on all sides with soy sauce, maple syrup and sesame oil and gives the summer rolls not only an additional super delicious taste, but also a great consistency.
The great thing about these veggie summer rolls is that they are SO VARIABLE. Simply use your favorite vegetables and fruits. You like beetroot? Put it in the rolls! Zucchini, sugar snap peas, kale,… Cut into whatever you feel like cutting into.
It’s VEGGIE PARTY TIME!!
The summer rolls would only be half as delicious if there wasn’t a dip. In this case it’s a creamy peanut butter lime sauce. It consists of many delicious ingredients that balance perfectly with each other.
- salty: soy sauce
- sour: rice vinegar & fresh lime juice
- sweet: rice syrup (or honey)
- nutty: peanut butter
- savory: garlic
- spicy: ginger & chilli
- refreshing: cilantro
Put it in a mixer, mix-mix-mix and tataaa! Within seconds you have a creamy, super tasty sauce with an Asian touch. Mmm..
I like to mix the ingredients with a blender for two reasons: on the one hand the sauce becomes extra creamy and on the other hand the flavors combine better with each other.
But you don’t have to use a mixer. You can chop garlic, ginger, chilli and cilantro very small and mix them with the remaining ingredients using a whisk.
Veggie summer ROLLS, right?
The rolling part is only half as difficult as it might seem. Don’t be too critical with your first (and probably also second) try.
Your first summer rolls will probably not win a beauty contest. But with each piece you get more and more into the roll-flow. Trust me. YOU CAN DO IT!
But we all have lazy moments (or very hungry ones) and things can’t go fast enough. That is so ok. I get you.
Just cut all the ingredients into small pieces, throw them in a bowl and marinate them with the peanut butter lime sauce. In no time at all you have a vitamin loaded bowl of soulfood in front of you. 🙂
Here’s more delicious summer recipe inspos:
Summer salad with melon, feta and crispy ciabatta
Papaya Burger with Crispy Sesame Tofu and Herb Pesto
|Prep Time||25 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 5 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2,5 tbsp rice syrup
- 1,5 lime squeezed
- 1 tsp garlic glove finley chopped
- 1,5 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh chilli (optional); finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper thinly sliced or diced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced or diced
- 1 Mango thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced or diced
- 1 Avocado thinly sliced or diced
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced or diced
- 1 cup cooked glas noodles
- 150 g natural tofu
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
peanut butter lime sauce
- Sauce VARIATION 1: Finely chop the ginger, garlic and chilli, place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Sauce VARIATION 2: Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand blender until creamy. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Cut the tofu into strips about 5 x 5 mm thick. Heat a pan. Fry the tofu in sesame oil until crispy on all sides. Deglaze with soy sauce and maple syrup. Cook for another minute.Remove from the heat.
- Dip the rice paper briefly in water and place it on a moistened work surface. Place the vegetable strips, glass noodles, mango, salad and spring onion in the middle. Fold the top and bottom ends inwards and roll them into a roll.
- Serve the summer rolls with the peanut butter lime sauce. If they are not eaten immediately, cover the summer rolls with cling film or aluminium foil to prevent them from drying out.