These soft Hot Cross Buns are a traditional English Easter pastry. They are fluffy, easy to make and ideal to prepare and freeze. And last but not least SO yummy!!
Perfect for Easter brunch or as a coffee snack in the afternoon!
If you want to try a different kind of bun recipe, you should definitely make these delicious Hot Cross Buns.
Soft, sweet but not too sweet, loaded with flavor like cinnamon or raisins and finished with a fruity apricot glaze.
I mean. Y U M ! !
What makes these hot cross buns different from “normal” brioche buns?
- In addition to the basic ingredients of a brioche dough, cinnamon, cardamom and some orange zest are added to the dough here.
- Before the buns bake in the oven, they get their namesake cross – a mixture of flour and water.
- While still hot, the buns are glazed with a syrup made from apricot jam and water. On the one hand, this makes them shine beautifully, and on the other, it gives them a great, fruity taste. When the buns have cooled down, this mixture has dried and therefore no longer really sticks.
This is how the Hot Cross Buns are made:
- Place the ingredients for the yeast dough in the bowl of a food processor and knead for about 5 minutes to form a smooth dough.
- The dough now rests for 1-2 hours at room temperature (or in the oven at 35°Celsius) until it has doubled in volume.
- Put the dough on a floured work surface and divide into 12 equal parts. With a slightly curved hand you now form them into balls.
- The round balls now rest for another 30-45 minutes.
5. Before you put them in the oven, mix flour and water to a paste and pipe it with the help of a piping bag (or plastic bag from which you cut off the tip) crosses on the buns.
6. After about 25 minutes, they are done baking.
7. The finish is a glaze of water and apricot jam that you spread on the still hot rolls.
That’s it. The Hot Cross Buns do require a few (easy!) steps, but they are really simple and straightforward.
You’ll be rewarded with incredibly delicious and soft buns. 🙂
Can I prepare the buns?
Yes, you can freeze these soft hot cross buns perfectly. Let them cool completely and then place them in a freezer bag and deflate. When you wanna eat them, take them out of the freezer 2-3 hours beforehand. You can then bake them for 5 minutes in a preheated 90°C oven. They will taste like freshly baked buns!